Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Black Bean and Corn Tortilla Cakes!

This has become a favorite of mine and my sister's. The recipe is originally from a cookbook called, "I'll Cook When Pigs Fly." It's our family's favorite cookbook with lots of great recipes. My mom actually always buys one as a gift for the bride when she goes to wedding showers.

I don't need the recipe anymore...it's so easy, but still so good! We often serve this with grilled chicken or steak. My dad always wants meat with the meal...my fiance feels the same way!

Black Bean and Corn Tortilla Cakes
1 diced red onion
1 can corn
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
2-3 cups shredded cheese (I use a Mexican mix)
9 soft taco size (6 or 7 inch) tortillas (I often use whole wheat)
olive oil
crushed red pepper


Combine red onion, corn, and black beans in a bowl. On baking sheets, lay out 3 tortillas. Top each with almost 1/2 cup mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Place a second tortilla on top of each and repeat mixture and cheese layer. End with a tortilla. In a cup, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper. Brush top of each tortilla cake with this mixture. Bake in oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, usually about 12-15 minutes.


3 comments:

Kayte said...

WOW!! this looks absolutely amazing! i want to make this tomorrow! or right now!!

Renea said...

Cheese, beans, and corn! How can you go wrong with that. Yum!

Trisha said...

Yum! Looks great!!