Sunday, August 19, 2007

Moroccan Inspired Stuffed Peppers


This recipe has been adapted from a fellow nestie's blog, http://cookingcutie.blogspot.com/ Hers looked good and easy, so I had to try it! In her post she used yellow peppers, and being on a budget, every tiny thing helps....so, I decided to use green peppers since they are always cheaper. She also mentioned in her post that it seemed to be lacking something since there was no sauce to kind of hold it all together. I decided to try using cream cheese in it...it always seems to work for me, but of course, might not be the healthiest choice :)


I thought these were pretty good, but I do like my other stuffed peppers better. These were nice to have as something different though. Of course my fiance didn't care for them...for some reason he doesn't like couscous. So, of course, he automatically judged them when I told him there was couscous...should have left my mouth shut! I told him that's fine, I will eat the leftovers until everything is gone, and you can get fast food :)
Thanks for the idea Chelley!


Moroccan Inspired Stuffed Peppers:

4 peppers
1 onion
salt
pepper
minced garlic
dried parsley flakes
1 1b chicken, cubed
1-1 1/4 cup chicken broth, fat free reduced sodium
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, very soft
4 oz feta cheese
2 tomatoes
1 box whole wheat couscous, I used garlic and olive oil flavor

Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Place in oven at 350 until they become a little tender. Saute diced onion and cubed chicken until chicken is done. Season heavily while cooking. Add chick peas and one diced tomato. Mix together. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Mix in couscous, remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes. When done, fluff it up! Add the feta and very soft cream cheese and mix all together. Spoon into pepper halves and garnish with a slice of tomato. Put in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes to reheat everything.

No comments: